Saturday, September 3, 2011

Spiritual Gifts

This is new for me so bare with me as I begin a new chapter in my life. A blog. Never thought I would do this as I am dangerous around computers. For a while now I have felt there was something more I needed to give back and not keep to myself. My Spiritual Gift.

I'm calling my blog, Daily Devotion. I need to give you some history about how this blog came to be. I am a born again Christian that was saved at an early age. I have had bumps in my life that set me back like everyone else. We are NOT perfect and will never be. Since 1979 all of my jobs have been in the medical field. Currently I am a licensed paramedic and worked on the ambulance and also taught at our local college in the EMT/Paramedic Program for about ten years. I am a member of Englewood Baptist Church in Jackson since 1987. 

I have been married for 27 years to the most wonderful Christian man who swept me off my feet in EMT school in 1982. He just didn't know it at the time. For the most part, life has been good for me. Grew up in a Christian home with two wonderful parents that set an example of a Christian life. I have a great older sister and a younger brother who means the world to me and are great Christian influences in my life.  

One Sunday, when my preacher delivered a sermon on spiritual gifts which we are all given when we become a child of God's, I knew mine was Serving. I was always so humbled when I saw a need and was able to help with that need in whatever resources it required. I thought I had it all. Life was great. I loved my job. Loved going to church and worshiping with all my brothers and sisters in Christ and always enjoyed fellowship with my friends by going to the movies, ballgames, traveling on vacations, etc. Then all of a sudden WHAM. I hit the biggest bump I had ever experienced.

I woke up on a May morning with numbness and tingling in both of my hands and arms up to my shoulder. I brushed it off for a few weeks and it was still there. Long story short, I had the worse whiplash you could have from a wreck in the late 90's from a vacation in Boston where we were rear-ended by a hit-and-run driver. Had no idea till that May morning how drastic my life was going to change.

Had MRI in June of 2004 which revealed my 5th vertebrae in my neck was pressing on my spinal cord and causing blood to cease flowing to that area. The Doctor couldn't give me any guarantee I could be fixed or not paralyzed. The numbness had already spread from my waist to my feet. Was rushed to surgery and when I woke, I was not paralyzed, but still had all my numbness. I praised God that I was still able to walk and have my motor function. No pain. Just about 65% of my body numb. I continued teaching till December 2005. Took two more neck surgeries to get my neck all straightened out.  I was ready for a break and to just enjoy my hobbies. 

All was going well until Memorial Day week-end 2006. I started hearing crickets. Yes crickets. I found out the medical term is Tinnitus. I said ok Lord, what is going on. I can't live with this. I went to two ear specialists and had every test possible including an MRI and no physical reason could be found for having this. To add to it, I would have to have the kind also known as hyperacusis. Meaning sounds are amplified louder if I get around loud noises. I was devastated to say the least when all I got was, "you will have to learn to live with it". I wasn't going to have that. But five years later, guess what, I still have it. I won't say I have learned to live with it, but I have, for the most part, learned to cope with it.

By the Grace of God which is sufficient, and the many prayers from my friends and family, I do get through each day. God is so good. I have to admit I was very angry at God for a while. How could he allow something like this to happen to me and cut me completely off from my social world. And worst of all, CHURCH! I couldn't go anywhere there was noise. No ballgames. No movies. No eating out at night when resturants are packed and playing music. How could He not want me in His House of Worship on Sunday's?

WHY ME?

Why not me. I'm no different from anyone else. Why, God gave up His ONLY son to die on a cruel cross for ME and you. I'm not worthy of that. But that is how much He loves me. I am fortunate that the noise does fluctuate where some days believe it or not, they are quiet. (use ear plugs then if needed)  Some days tolerable. Some days I can't leave the house for they are already very loud. I have to be careful on days they are low because of the hyperacusis. External noise will make them louder by the end of the day.

I know this is long. They will not always be this long, but I felt you needed some history about who I am and how going through all these medical conditions has strengthen my faith and walk with Jesus although there are still days I take my eyes off of Him and He ALWAYS brings me back into the fold as He is my Shepard, and I  His sheep.

I have felt God working on me how I could still use my talents for Him from the house. A Devotion Blog. I can't promise one every day, but will blog every day the Lord gives me the strength and wisdom. I believe this is enough for one day. I will begin tomorrow with what God has done for me in the last five years. I am on facebook and plan on having it on there too for those that are my friends. Should be on my profile page.

Lastly, I would like to leave you with one of my favorite verses. 
Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me". KJV

2 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration Beth! I really don't know how anyone can get through the bumps we have in this life without Jesus. No matter what's going on in this short life on earth, we can have peace knowing that it IS short, compared to the eternity we will spend with Him! I'm looking forward to keeping up with your blog....glad you're doing this. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you Beth, for your faith and your obedience to God's calling. I keep you in my prayers, but I must admit, I often think about Paul who had a thorn in his side that God decided not to remove. I hope this is not the case for you, but sometimes God leaves the trial in our lives for a reason. Love you, Susan

    ReplyDelete